- Prospective adoptive parents must be at least 30 years old at the time their dossier is sent to China. The age difference between the child being adopted and the younger individual in a married couple or single female can be no more than 50 years.
- For couples (one male one female) in which neither individual has had a previous marriage, or those who have a history of one divorce, the couple must be married for a minimum of 2 years at the time their dossier is sent to China. If one or both individuals have a history of 2 divorces, the current marriage must be for a minimum of 5 years. CCCWA will not accept applications of individuals who have been divorced more than twice.
- China will accept applications of single heterosexual females. They will not accept applications from single men or homosexual women.
- Prospective adoptive parents should be in good physical, emotional and mental health, and should have a BMI of less than 40%. China also has additional health restrictions, so please contact A.A.C. for more information.
- Married couples must have a minimum annual household income of $10,000 per household member including the child they wish to adopt. Single mothers must have annual income of at least $10,000 per household member including the child that will be adopted PLUS an additional $10,000. Married couples must have a net worth of $80,000 and singles must have a net worth of $100,000.
- China will not accept applications from individuals who have a history of alcohol abuse, prescription drug abuse, or any use of "street drugs" such as: marijuana, cocaine, methamphetamines, opium and heroin.
- Prospective adoptive parents may not have any serious criminal history. Prospective adoptive parents that have had minor offenses should contact A.A.C. for a case by case evaluation.
- China will not accept applications from prospective adoptive parents that have a history of drug use, domestic violence, sexual abuse, child abuse or abandonment.
- You must travel to China to finalize the adoption (usually a 14-day trip).
Waiting/ Special Needs Programs:
- The Waiting Children program offers adoption for children with a variety of special needs ranging from mild to severe.
- Waiting children may range from 1 to 13 years old.
- AAC places an average of 50 special needs children per year from China.
- It takes an average of 12-14 months to complete an adoption.
- Profiles for AAC's waiting children are posted. AAC also has access to the CCCWA’s shared list of waiting children.
NOTE: These requirements are subject to change at any time by either country or agency. Any current changes will be listed at the Intercountry Adoption site.